What is a Medical Cannabis Caregiver?
A medical cannabis caregiver is someone who under Florida law has the legal right to purchase and possess medical cannabis only for it to be used by a qualified medical marijuana patient. They are the legal representative for the patient. Caregivers may be the patient’s parent, legal guardian, health care surrogate, or an individual with power of attorney to make health care decisions.
Who needs a Medical Cannabis caregiver?
Usually reserved for patients who are severely ill like bedridden patients, patients with communications issues like severe autism or patients who otherwise can’t drive themselves to the dispensary or receive deliveries at their door.
How to Become a Medical Marijuana Caregiver?
The application process for becoming a Florida medical cannabis caregiver is very similar to the application process for becoming a medical cannabis patient. Caregivers must apply and be approved for a Medical Marijuana Patient ID Card and must supply proof of Legal Representation status (power of attorney, health care surrogate documentation or certified birth certificate for minor children).
The 3 steps to become a medical marijuana caregiver in Florida:
- The patient you represent must have a severe qualifying condition and reasons to require a caregiver, not anyones needs one.
- The patient must ask their MMJ doctor to place their caregiver in the MMUR.
- The caregiver must apply to the Medical Marijuana Use Registry (MMUR) to become a legal medical cannabis caregiver, pay the $75 state fee and wait the necessary time until the OMMU approves the application. This card must also be renewed every year just like the patients card.
Rules and Restrictions for Medical Cannabis Caregivers
There are several restrictions and conditions that medical cannabis caregivers must meet in order to qualify:
- Cannot be a qualified physician
- Cannot be employed by or have an economic interested in a medical marijuana treatment center or marijuana testing laboratory
- Must be 21 years of age and a Florida resident
- Must agree, in writing, to assist with the qualified patient’s medical use of marijuana cannabis products
- Must complete a caregiver certification course by the Florida Department of Health
- If not closely related to the patient must pass a background check
If you are one of our patients and want to have a caregiver added to your registry please complete the following form. If you are not one of our patients, please contact your treating MMJ doctor.